Both myself and my kids love a good homemade muffin. We also love making them, so that works out well. These apple cinnamon muffins are my kids absolute favorite. They love the chunks of apple and soft fluffy insides. And I just love that they're so much healthier (and smaller) than your average store-bought muffin. These make a great snack or on-the-go breakfast.
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or soft whole wheat flour (you can also replace up to half the flour with all purpose flour)
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1.5 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup fat free Greek yogurt
1/3 cup 1% milk
3 tbsp. canola oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 - 3/4 cup packed brown sugar (depending on how sweet you like your muffins)
1 medium apple, finely chopped and microwaved for 1.5 minutes to soften
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.
2. Finely chop apples and microwave for just over 1 minute.
3. In bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
4. In separate bowl, mix together egg, applesauce, yogurt, oil, vanilla and brown sugar.
5. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix just until combined. Fold in apple.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
Calories 165, total fat 4.2g (sat. fat 0g), total carbs 31g, fibre 3g, sugar 13g, protein 13.5g
Weight Watchers Points: 3
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 5